A nose surgery or rhinoplasty involves correcting or reconstructing the shape of nose to improve it aesthetically or to resolve any congenital or acquired defects. A nose surgery is often performed by an otolaryngologist, plastic surgeon or maxillofacial surgeon. The surgery involves separating the soft tissues form the nasal framework, correcting the tissues and bones, suturing back the incision and applying the stent.
The recovery from a nose job:
For all those who want to benefit from nose job, the biggest concern is the recovery process and downtime period after surgery. Here are some details that will help you in getting an idea of nose surgery recovery period.
- The nose takes up to 12 weeks to settle down all the changes and during this period significant changes occur in its appearance.
- Cast is removed after a week and the nose and the surrounding facial area look swollen. Swelling will be more apparent if a boney hump was removed.
- The amount of swelling that appears varies from one person to another. In addition, in surgeries where bone reshaping is performedand surgery involved treating both; the inside and the outside of the nose, swelling is greater and may take several weeks to disappear.
- Swelling and bruising start to disappear by the end of the 2nd week. However, you may feel your nose puffy and swollen for several months.
- As the nose is swollen and nostrils are blocked, you will have more mucous drainage. A hemorrhage may occur but most often it is normal.
- Nausea may be felt within 6 to 8 hours after surgery. It may prolong to 24 hours post-op.
- Pain is usually minimal after a rhinoplasty but you may experience prolonged discomfort or bruised sensation due to swelling.
- A mild headache may be experienced due to prescribed painkiller.
- You may feel insomnia or sleeplessness due to cast or dressing wrapped around the nose.
- Post-op depression is very common because no matter how much patients want to have a nose job, they feel depressed on seeing their face swollen. The depression may prevail for 36 hours after surgery.
- Your face may look discolor after 2 days of surgery. It is common and resolves with time.
Help your recovery process:
Following are some suggestions that will help you in dealing with post-op complications and make your recovery process quick.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects or bending over. It will make your swelling prolonged and may cause bleeding from nose.
- Do not blow your nose for ten days post-op as it will irritate your treated area seriously. Do not compress or hit nose either.
- Sleep with your head 4 to 6 pillows high until your dressings are removed.
- Your nose is blocked but do not try to inhale air forcibly. It will increase swelling.
- Do not resume work out for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure at least for a month.
- Avoid multivitamins or other remedies or teas that can cause bleeding.
- Avoid smoking.